14.8.08

Chapter 8

I stepped back and instinctively my mind thought of the pen knife Gail had kept in the drawer behind me.

“What the hell do you want from me?," I raised my voice with my fist clenched, ready to punch.

“Woah, why are you so worked up for? “ then he looked at me.

It was Jay. I felt like a huge elephant just got up from my chest. The relief was so overwhelming that I sat down on the floor.

“Hey, are you okay?” he came and knelt down beside me.

It was a risky move but I removed the cap and blinked a few times. Yep, without a doubt, it was Jay.

“You look scared. Did I scare you?”

I let out a deep breath and shook my head then I stood up.

“What are you doing here?” I asked.

“My mom was wondering about you. It’s been a little hectic around the house”

“What do you mean hectic?” I asked as we sat down.

“It’s just that my mom is at home alone and I’m busy with video recording. My uncle came over and visited her around three days ago when Tom was admitted to the hospital”

What?

“Why is he in the hospital?” I tried to sound casual but I felt sick inside.

Imagine Tom lying in the hospital with tubes connected everywhere to his body and the heart rate machine beeping. I shook my head, getting rid of that image.

“He had a high fever and collapsed on duty” Jay cringed a little.

I nodded and I didn’t what to say. Snooky was looking at Jay as he sat down on the floor.

“Does he bite? “ Jay was looking at Snooky.

“Why did you come here? You could have call” I ignored his question.

“I thought it would be better if I drop by to see how you are and also to visit your home. Hope you don’t mind. Nice place you got” his eyes scanned around my living room.

I smiled a little at his compliment before I noticed Snooky was resting next to Jay’s feet.

“Snooky, you little rascal” I chuckled. Jay laughed too.

“I know this is a bit too much to ask but .. “ he looked at me.

Ding Dong ! Both of us leapt up from the couch and looked at each other in panic.

“I can’t be seen here” Jay put on his cap.

” Umm .. just pretend you’re the pizza guy again” I threw my hands up in desperation.

“What is the pizza guy doing in a girl’s house?” Jay whispered in a hiss.

Ding Dong !

“Babe, are you gonna open up?”

“Gosh, it’s Cindy. Quick, hide” I pushed Jay towards my room.

Jay confusingly obeyed me and I rushed over to the front door, messing up my hair a little to give the impression that I had just woken up from a nap or I was just combing my hair.

“Finally!” she gave a mock yawn and lifted two plastic bags up.

“You been grocery shopping?” I asked with one raised eyebrow.

“Yup and it’s all for you. Hello Snooky” she greeted my puppy and walked around him. Then she stopped and sniffed around.

“What’s that smell? “

Oh shit! Jay’s cologne.

“Er.. just something Gail bought” I dismissed it with a wave of hand.

“Smells like a guy had been here” Cindy mumbled.

I laughed nervously as I helped her unpack the stuff. I took the bottle of pepsi to the kitchen while thinking of what this bottle of sugar would do to my hips. I heard Snooky running around as his little collar bell was ringing.

“LISA!!” Cindy’s scream sent me running to the direction of her voice, straight to my room. Dammit ! Cindy was standing at the door, looking terrified.

“Lis, I know this will freak you out but I think there’s a man in your room”

Sure enough, there was a pair of feet sticking out under the curtain.

“And he’s wearing Gail’s perfume. Don’t worry, I’ll call the .. “

I stopped her half way with a raised hand and stepped towards the curtain.

“For a successful top selling album guy, you suck in hiding” I rolled my eyes.

Slowly the curtain opened and there stood Jay. Cindy gasped.

“It’s Jay Chou” she let out a whisper.

Then she looked at me , my messy hair and then at Jay.

“You guys were ..? “ she was pointing her fingers accusingly.

“Were what.. no ..hell no” my eyes widen when I realized what she was hinting at.

************************************************************************************

When I was in the kitchen , refilling the popcorn bowl, Cindy came in.

“I didn’t know you know Jay” Cindy said.

“Er, I thought I told you before” I looked at her, puzzled.

“But I never thought you know KNOW him”

I let out a chuckle “Told you he apologize about his attitude”

“He’s hot. Too bad I have Sean” Cindy sighed.

Sean. Yuck. Asshole.

“Regret?” I asked about the sigh.

“No, content. Sean might not be Jay Chou but he’s my superstar”

I wanted to vomit. Luckily my gag reflex is stronger than I thought. As we brought food back to the front, Jay stood up.

“I have to go now. Lisa, can I talk to you for a sec ? “ Jay pointed to a corner of the room.

We went to the corner and Jay spoke in a low voice.

“Listen, is it okay if I request you to follow my mom to the hospital these few days? She’s looking after Tom but I don’t want her to get too tired. I can’t go, I’m having some video shoots and you know, crazy paparazzi’s on my back. Can you go on my behalf? If you want, I can pay you” he put his hands in his pockets.

I shook my head.

“No need to pay. I would be happy to accompany your mom” and to see Tom.

Jay smiled. “Thank you”


************************************************************************************


Cindy groaned “ You are officially out of your mind”

I looked at her innocently. She looked at me and rolled her eyes.

“You could have asked for a million bucks”

“Just to accompany his mom to the hospital??”

“You get what I mean!!”

Was Cindy right? I couldn’t think anymore as auntie pushed the door open to Tom’s room. There he was, lying on the bed with his eyes closed. As soon as he saw us, he lifted his head a little then smiled with his pale lips.

“You came. Hey Lisa”

Aww, he looked so handsome even though he was pale.

“I just drop by to see how you are doing” I smiled.

Honestly, I dunno how to feel. We kissed and went silent for a week and now I see him , he looked so tired and pale, I don't have the heart to be mad at him. Tom tried to sit up so I helped to prop him up and fluffed his pillow.

“Has your temperature gone down?” auntie asked.

“Yeah, I felt much better. It’s just been pretty boring” he gave a small sigh.

“You know why you get sick? You don’t eat enough vegetable” auntie nagged.

“You don’t eat veggie?” I asked, surprised.

“Look at Lisa. She consumes veggie, no wonder she is so healthy” auntie praised me.

Tom chuckled “Perhaps that’s why she looks prettier day by day too”

I found myself blushing “Veggies don’t make people pretty” I teased.

After an hour of chatting, what I learnt from Tom was he loves swimming and he will pick pineapple of the pizza. Aha! Perfect guy has flaws.. who doesn’t love pineapple?

“And I find animals amusing” he smiled.

“Like Snooky?” I wondered what he thinks of my puppy

“Exactly like Snooky. Madam, Lisa has a little brown adorable puppy”

“Do bring her along one day” auntie turned to me with a smile.

Then she got up and looked at us.

“I have to go to the saloon now. These white hairs need to be taken care of. Lisa, do you wanna leave or stay here with Tom?”

I looked at Tom , who nodded at me.

“ I think I’ll stay for a little while more”

After madam left, Tom’s shoulder slumped.

“You okay?”

“Just a little tired” he smiled weakly.

I dunno why I did so but I put my hand forward and felt his forehead.

“You’re burning up again. Here, lay down”

I slowly pulled off the pillow and helped him to lay down. Here was a guy whom I liked and he’s sick. Suddenly I miss the old Tom, the Tom that was healthy and strong but taking care of him made me warm inside.

“All better?” I asked

“Never been better. Oh wait, had been better” he smiled.

Then he frowned.

“Lisa, can you scratch my shoulder, it itches. I wish I can do it but my hand is kinda stiff”

I stood up and tried to figure out where his itch was.

“Oh left a bit .. lower .. nope.. there” he gave a sigh of relief as I scratched his annoyance away . I could almost feel his taut skin and his muscles as I touched him. After half a minute of scratching his itch, Tom indicated he wanted a sip of water.

“Damn , I dunno how I can fall sick. Kinda worried for Madam”

“People fall sick Tom. It happens” I sat down beside him.

“You must be thinking we abandoned you and I just used you as a publicity stunt”

I kept quiet. That’s what I thought before Jay dropped me the visit.

“Did Ryan bother you?” he asked, his eyes looking at me for answers.

“No” I shook my head while I was thinking it was not Ryan, but that snake, Sean.

“Lisa, did Ryan bother you?” Tom’s voice was firmer.

“No”

“Lis, are you sure?” he raised one eyebrow.

Did my eyes give away my inner self? I gave in and told him about Sean.

“Man, that guy should be beaten up” Tom said.

“But he’s my best friend’s boyfriend” I tried to defend Cindy.

“Still, doesn’t give him the right to make such suggestions”

I shrugged, the There’s – Nothing – I – Can – Do shrug. Tom slowly took my hand in his and I looked at our hands, then at him.

“ I want to protect you” he smiled.

I felt really puzzled. I really don’t know what to think of our situation now.

“I hope you feel better soon” I smiled back at him.

He stroked my hand slowly.

“Me too. I wanna go find that Sean guy. Nobody hurts Zhi Ting this way”

The way he used my name was so gentle and my parents were the only ones who used that name to coax me when I was 5 years old, but with the way Tom looked at me and how my name just passed his lips, I almost had the urge to kiss him.

“Zhi Ting, I got something important to tell you” then he gulped.

I looked at him and suddenly my heart raced. My palms started sweating and I wonder if he noticed it. If he did, he certainly did not show any sign of knowing it.

“I think I like .. “

Suddenly the door burst open and another tall guy walked in, glaring at me.

“Hands off missy. What are you doing?” he pointed at me.

I was alarmed. Me?? Who is this dude? I looked at Tom for answers but he seemed to panic.

“ De .. Derek. Calm down, it’s not what you think” Tom was stammering.

I stood up “ Who are you?” I asked the dude at the door.

“ I am Tom’s boyfriend”

0 comments: